Taking a leap of faith and opening a small business is scary. It is also liberating knowing that you are doing something you love, while being your own boss. Who knows this better than Santa? He’s been in operations for years up at the North Pole and shows no sign of slowing down.
Small business owners could learn a thing or two from Santa and how he runs his workshop. With Christmas right around the corner and a new year creeping up quickly, we wanted to help you get off to a good start by providing you with a series of Santa approved small business tips.
We present to you the 12 small business holiday tips:
1. Know your market: There is a reason why Santa spends endless hours at the mall asking children what they would like for Christmas. He’s doing market research and making sure he understands the needs of his customers.
2. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes: Mistakes are part of doing business. Learn from them and move forward. Santa once made the mistake of questioning Rudolph’s abilities, and look how that turned out?
3. Invest in your team: Santa put a lot of time and effort into training his team of elves, and what did it get him? A well-oiled toy making machine.
4. Create systems: Strong businesses have reliable business systems to fall back on – like Santa’s workshop.
5. Network, network, and network some more: Be collaborative with your staff, business partners and customers… you never know when a business opportunity will arise.
6. Find a mentor: Having someone to bounce ideas off and talk to during the good and the bad times will give you the guidance you need to push forward.
7. Thank your customers: Putting your customers first and thanking them for their business will increase the chances of them becoming repeat customers.
8. Set realistic goals: While Santa may be able to go around the world in a night, most small businesses are not an overnight success. Set realistic goals and build on them over time.
9. Take the high road: You have two choices when doing business: being naughty or nice. Be nice, and build good relationship with your business partners.
10. Think long term: Santa starts planning for next year on the day after Christmas. How far ahead do you plan?
11. Don’t let it consume you: Build your business around your life, not the other way around. Even Santa takes some time off now and then.
12. Do something you love: Having a passion for your business will show in everything you do. Just look at how much Santa loves Christmas!
More Holiday Season Tips
Happy Holidays from the uBiz Team!