Monday, January 9th is National Clean Your Desk Day! You know what this means – today is the day you are finally going to get around to cleaning your desk. Get rid of those unnecessary piles of paper, reduce the clutter and take back your workspace once and for all – or at least for a short period of time, until the mess creeps back onto your desk.
“Experts say the average desk worker has 36 hours worth of work on their desk at any one time. No wonder we waste up to 3 hours a week just ‘looking for stuff,’” says Susan Wilson Solovic on all Business.
Think about that for a minute – those 3 hours a week add up to about 12 hours per month, and 150 hours per year just rooting around for things. That’s a lot of time you could spend doing other, more productive things.
Plus, your desk is one of the dirtiest areas in your office. “Your desk has about 400 times the amount of bacteria as a toilet seat. (Yuck) And according to a University of Arizona professor your computer keyboard is one of the top five most germ contaminated spots in the office, including the shared microwave,” says Solovic.
Five Benefits of an Organized Workspace
Keeping an organized workspace makes you more productive, and it can prevent the spread of bacteria, keeping you healthy as well. Here are the key benefits of maintaining an organized workspace:
1. Increased productivity: The less time you spend looking for things, the more time you will have doing productive tasks – something that can help make you more profitable.
2. A clean desk looks professional: A messy desk doesn’t exactly give off a great impression to co-workers, colleagues and clients. It could even put a hint of doubt in their minds about your ability to deliver. Impressions matter!
3. Reduced stress: An unorganized workspace can add unnecessary stress, especially if you cannot find an important document or are under a tight deadline to complete a task. Knowing where things are and being able to access the tools and resources you need instantly will help keep stress levels down.
4. Less sick time: You never know what germs and bacteria could be lurking among the mess on your desk. Cleaning your desk regularly and wiping down the surfaces with sanitary wipes will eliminate these germs and reduce your exposure to bacteria that could make you sick.
5. Save time and improve effectiveness: Being efficient is important in all businesses, but it is especially important for home-based businesses and freelancers who work solo. The more effective and efficient you can be, the more work you will be able to complete, and the more time you will have to grow your business.
Overall, a clean and organized workspace gives you one less thing to worry about during the workday. Take some time to clean it this Clean Your Desk Day and put in some effort to keeping it clean.
While you are getting your desk organized, don’t forget to get your small business insurance in order, as well. A new year is the perfect time to get a business insurance quote. Get a free business insurance quote.
Get More Small Business Tips