While most businesses are focused on capturing as many holiday sales as possible, it’s also important to keep an eye on the year ahead. Before you know it, the holiday season will be over and you will have a fresh new year ahead of you – 12 full months to improve upon what you accomplished this year.
To get the most out of the new calendar year, here are some tips for how to start off 2017 with a bang:
1. Schedule time to plan
Rather than taking an “I will deal with it after the holidays” approach, take things one step further by scheduling time to plan. As part of this planning:
• Set aside time to specifically plan your year
• Review your business plan
• Review your previous year’s goals
• Start to formulate a plan for the different aspects of your business (sales, marketing, operations, etc.)
2. What did you learn this year?
Every year in business is a learning experience. Whether you had an up year, a down year, or your business really took off, there are always key takeaways that you can use to improve in the coming year.
• What did you learn about your business this year?
• What did you learn about your customers?
• What did you learn about your industry?
• What did you learn about yourself?
3. What do the analytics say?
Did you statistically have a good year? Were sales up? Did you meet your marketing metrics? Were you able to grow your audience on social media and more effectively engage your customers? Use your data to:
• Set targets for 2017
• Compare results to competitors and perform some competition research
• Understand areas of your business that are thriving/require more attention
• Make your goals more specific
4. What are your goals for 2017?
Speaking of goals, what are your business goals for 2017? Is there an area of your business you want to expand? What is your focal point for the coming year? Do you want to improve sales, customer retention, or become more efficient?
5. How are you going to grow your business this year?
Setting goals is one thing, but having an actionable plan to achieve your defined goals is what will make them a reality. How are you going to take what you know about your business and where you want to take it, and create a strategy to grow it?
• When will you set your business objectives for the year?
• Who will be involved in the planning and execution process?
• What are your short and long terms benchmarks?
• How will you define success in 2017?
Asking yourself these questions, creating time to plan, and using what you know about your business’ previous and current performance and where you want to take your business will help you start the year off with a clear and focused plan.
Don’t forget to make business insurance part of your planning for 2017. Let uBiz handle the business insurance for your company. Get a free business insurance quote.